A World-Class Education
Vermilion Parish is the 8th best school district in the state with three high schools in the top 10, and 11 “A” schools. The envy of parishes around the state, Vermilion has onsite college dual enrollment classes, unprecedented parental involvement, and the 3rd highest graduation rate in the state (93.5%). You don’t have to travel to far-off places to get a quality education.
Retirement that won’t break the bank
Planning where you’ll spend your golden years can be difficult, especially when relying on Social Security as a main source of income. In a new study, SmartAsset has analyzed Social Security income, cost of living, across the US to determine where people are living more comfortably. In addition to its outstanding quality of life, Vermilion Parish is ranked among the top spots (#7) in Louisiana for getting the most out of your benefits. Retirement doesn’t have to break the bank, especially in Vermilion.
About the Parish
Vermilion Parish is known for its fresh seafood, bountiful agriculture, great access via road and waterways, and a rich history of cultural and eco tourism. This bilingual (English/French), coastal parish is large and diverse with wandering bayous and farmlands, authentic local cuisine, family-friendly festivals and Cajun towns connecting it all.
Vermilion is centrally located in the southern part of Louisiana immediately adjacent to the Gulf of Mexico. This proximity to the Gulf makes the parish an ideal location for the numerous companies needed to serve this region’s oil and gas industry. Heliports, shrimp docks, and marine services call Vermilion home alongside crawfish ponds and sugarcane fields.
The parish is the largest geography of the growing and prosperous Lafayette Metropolitan Statistical Area with over 1500 square miles within its borders. The welcoming people, gorgeous sunsets and variety of home-grown businesses lend to the parish’s tradition and charm while the opportunity to grow exists with acres of developable property in each of Vermilion’s communities.
- 2015 Total population = 59,971 (Claritas, Inc.)
- 2014 Average Civilian labor force = 24,783 (Louisiana Workforce Commission)
- Infrastructure assets
- Port of Vermilion – 8 miles south of Abbeville on the west bank of the Vermilion River. 8 miles north of the U.S. Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and Freshwater Bayou (FWB). Access is via FWB and GIWW with a controlling depth of 12 feet.
- Abbeville Chris Crusta Memorial Airport – Airport servicing the Gulf of Mexico and local flights.
Relocating to Vermilion?
- "Vermilion Parish has great Gulf access, a variety of home-grown businesses and the opportunity to grow with acres of developable property in each of our communities. Pride and a sense of history and tradition make this parish special. That uniqueness could be leveraged into new and exciting things like business recruitment - our French heritage, historically preserved main streets and rich agricultural industry are just a few of our often-unrecognized assets." – Anne T. Falgout