Goodwill Industries of Acadiana’s Job Connection Center will be hosting a job seeker training class in preparation of the upcoming Vermilion Parish Job Fair. The job seeker training is a free event that will take place March 14, 2019 from 9 a.m.-11 a.m. at South Louisiana Community College’s Gulf Area Campus in Abbeville.
Goodwill Industries of Acadiana’s services staff will provide tips on resume writing, dressing for success, and how to strategically conduct a job search. Goodwill provides the following tips on how to prepare for the upcoming job fair:
- Dress for success. Avoid casual clothing pieces such as jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tennis shoes etc. Instead opt for blazers, dress shoes, dress pants, or a business formal dress. Make sure clothing items are free of wrinkles, tears, and stains.
- Be mindful of what you carry in your hands. Instead of an informal backpack, carry a portfolio to hold resumes, cover letters, etc.
- Bring multiple copies of your resume to hand out to potential employers.
- Review the list of companies that will be in attendance and determine which ones you are most interested in. Make sure to visit these booths first so you have enough time to speak with the employers. Additionally, make sure to research information about the companies beforehand to get an understanding of their mission.
- Create a “30-second elevator pitch” that highlights your key successes and qualities that would make you a good candidate. Remember that these companies will speak to many people, so try to make yourself stand out.
- Watch your body language. Make sure you seem interested and responsive to what the employers are saying. Nonverbal cues are just as important as what you say.
For more tips and best practices for succeeding at the job fair, attend Goodwill’s job seeker training on March 14 or stop by Goodwill’s Abbeville Job Connection Center located at 2900 Veteran’s Memorial Dr. on Tuesdays from 9 a.m -noon.
The Vermilion Parish Job fair will take place on April 17, 2019 from 9 a.m.- noon at Abbeville High School. There is an additional workshop available for employers that will discuss new developments in employment law. This session will take place April 4, 2019 from 8 a.m.- 10 a.m. at the SLCC Gulf Area Campus.
For more information on Goodwill Industries of Acadiana’s services, please contact : Kathy Boudreaux, Director of Services at 337-769-7650.
About Goodwill Industries of Acadiana:
Goodwill Industries of Acadiana believes in the power of work and, through its various community programs, helps people overcome barriers to employment. Goodwill connects people to good jobs, good homes, and good families, leading to healthy communities. For more information please visit our website at www.lagoodwill.com or contact us at 337-261-1911.
Originally published in the Abbeville Meridional on February 24, 2019